Saturday, April 07, 2007

Giving Always Returns

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:6-7)


When I deployed to Kuwait I knew to bring lots of 100mph tape and 550 (parachute) cord. Every good infantryman has learned that these two items are essential in the field. But I also had the advantage of having good intel from my brother, Mike, who had deployed on the rotation before me. He told me to bring basic tools and lots of nails. Then I instructed my Chaplain Assistant that if any one asked for any of these items, give them freely. By the second week of the 4 month deployment we were out of most of our precious supplies and only had a few nails left. My Assistant was a bit concerned that we hadn't saved more of these things for ourselves. Then I reminded him of this spiritual law, ‘whoever sows generously will also reap generously.’ And sure enough it happened. Everyone wanted to square away the chaplain by giving us things that made the deployment a little easier. We always received what we needed and more. Give to those around you and those who are in need. It will return.