Friday, October 31, 2008

Treasure in Heaven


Read Mt 6.19-34
Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

Jesus promotes an eternal perspective on the spiritual versus material.


A person who is Kingdom Focused does not see the material things of this world as gain but as leverage (Lk 16.8-9). Disciples use what God has given us in the way of physical gifts to translate them into spiritual gifts for His sake. My house does not belong to me. It’s on loan for the sake of the Kingdom. I drive a car because its transportation for the sake of the Kingdom. Everything I have has been entrusted to me for God’s uses and I am to be a responsible steward. In turn, I store up riches for myself in heaven. This kind of investment never loses its value, it is eternal. What are we modeling in the area of material things? Are we free and open as we use these things for advancing the gospel? Or have we built fences, turned locks, and set rules to keep them solely to ourselves? Are we living in light of the fact that it will all burn. Encourage the disciples through your example of charity, generosity, and hospitality (2 Cor 9.6-7)


· Are you giving extravagantly?
· Is there anything you own that you wouldn’t share?
· Are you living beyond your means?
· Are there any missionaries who benefit from your generosity?
· Have you said no to something to help someone?
· Before you purchase do you ask, “How will this impact the Kingdom?”


FJ82


For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com or click the envelope below to send this post to a friend...