Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ownership

Read John 4.39-42

and they were saying to the woman, "It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world."
(John 4:42)

The Samaritan Woman had provided the initial data about Jesus and the people believed. But it is interesting that after hearing Jesus for themselves, they declare their independence. They no longer believe because of the testimony of the woman but it is Jesus’ own words that were most important to them. As a result, a stronger faith is forged and they announce “this One is indeed the Savior of the world."

I was meeting with a young man for dinner and as I was getting to know him it became very evident that he had an extraordinary love for his father. Probing deeper, I wanted to turn this into a teaching opportunity. I said, “You have an unusually high admiration for your dad. What makes you love him so much?” Obviously proud that I had noticed he was bragging on his father he said, “well my dad and I spent a lot of time together. Occasionally he’d even take me out of school and we’d go fishing together. He made me a priority in his life.” This was my opportunity. I responded, “If I told you that I loved your dad as much as you do based on your story, would you believe me?” A bit thrown off by the question he replied, “No way!” “Of course not” I said, “because I haven’t been fishing with your dad.” I then proceeded to explain how to make the most of a daily devotional time with God.

You know most people are relating to the Father based on someone else’s fishing stories. They haven’t made the relationship personal by getting in the Word and praying on a regular basis to really own the relationship. Most of what they know about God has been related to them by another. In order to really own a personal relationship with the Father we need to spend consistent personal time with Him. Our job as disciplers is not to just tell others about our fishing trips with the Father, but to teach other how discover the joy of fishing with Dad for themselves. FJ38

For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com