Friday, August 01, 2008

Who’s disciple is he becoming?

"He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)

Who’s disciple is he becoming? A disciplemaker’s chief question. I must constantly asking myself, “Is he becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ or a disciple of Chuck Wood?” In the beginning a young disciple may be very appreciative of the attention and time we are lavishing on them. He will be enamored with our deeds and words. This is a natural byproduct of love, one of the key ingredients in ministry. But as normal as it may be, the relationship cannot remain in this state. If he is becoming a disciple of Jesus, his loyalties and affections will begin to shift. There will be tension between him and me. He will ask questions that make me feel awkward and inadequate. He will start holding the Word of God and Jesus in higher esteem. Jesus will increase and I will decrease. As a disciplemaker, I am intentional in facilitating this process. How do you help a young disciple focus on Christ? One way is by sharing you sins and weaknesses with him. This will not only demonstrate the superiority of following Jesus but it will give him a sense of comfort that even his teacher is a “work in progress.” My second way of helping a guy make the shift is by talking about Jesus more than myself. This should seem obvious to a disciplemaker trying to make a disciple of Jesus, but it is often neglected. I always make sure the Jesus is the focus of the discussion. When talking to others, how often does the name of Jesus cross your lips? FJ29

For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com