Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Restoring the Image (Part 18) - The Word of God: Application


For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel.
(Ezra 7:10)

So now a person has set their heart and has taken the Word in through hearing, reading, studying, and memorizing. It still makes little difference in our lives until it is applied. Our first obstacle is actually getting into the Bible; the second is actually doing what is says (Jam 1.22). Here's some tips on how to develop successful applications from the Scriptures:


First, I need to meditate. A good technique is looking over what is read and asking the question, "What should I do about what God has shown me?" Underlining or highlighting passages that stand out is helpful in this process.

After I have one idea that is relevant to life change, I begin to mold it into an application. I develop and action plan that is attainable, measurable, and accountable.


Attainable simply means that I will actually be able to accomplish my application. If I've read something about prayer and my application is to pray for three hours and I've never prayed longer than 15 minutes, the chances are slim that I will accomplish this. But if I say, "I'm going to pray for at least 10 minutes every day for a week," that seems doable.


Notice the application above is not only attainable but it is measurable as well. If I would have said, "I need to pray more." Well, how much more? Will I pray for one minute or three days? I need to be specific. This helps me know when I have accomplished what I have set out to do.


Lastly, I need to enlist someone's help to see how I'm progressing in my application. By asking a friend to help with the application I have a 95% probability I will do what I feel God is calling me to do. All this may seem mechanical but it's better than the alternative of building my house on the sand (Mt 7.26-27).


For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com or click the envelope below to send this post to a friend...