Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Raising Half Kids

The Wise Master Builder (Part 8)

"Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father,' for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham. (Luke 3:8)

When my oldest Son was born it was quite an event. I was in the mountains training Ranger students and ended up hitching a ride on a US Army helicopter to the hospital for his delivery. What would you think if, on every birthday, I talked about the cool chopper flight but never mentioned my son? Obviously I would be missing the point.

In similar fashion, we miss the point when we only reproduce physically and not spiritually. God never intended us just to have kids. His desire is that those kids relate intimately to Him. God did not judge the earth in Noah’s day for lack of population. They had failed to reproduce spiritually. Jesus brings another dimension into the generational mix. He commands us to rear spiritual children that we did not physically bring into the world. This is the incredible privilege and potential of having hundreds of spiritual offspring.

Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved