Sunday, February 04, 2007

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. (Hebrews 2:18)

One of the greatest advantages I have in my ministry to soldiers is my prior enlisted time. I've raked pine needles and piled rocks as a private. I've had to lead my buddies as a newly promoted SGT. I've had the leadership challenges that come with leading a 32 man platoon as a PSG. I've been cold, wet, and hungry. Yup, I've been there and done that. And soldiers appreciate someone who has walked a mile in their boots. But God has too. He came to earth as a man. He showed us that He had to endure hunger, sadness, temptation, pain, and yes, even death. He showed us how to fish for men as a man. He's walked a mile in our boots. He knows what we're going through. We can trust Him because we know He's been there, done that.