Thursday, February 15, 2007

HUMBLE PIE IS NOURISHING IF DIGESTED PROPERLY

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3-4)

At times as a chaplain you have to tell people they are wrong. And sometimes that includes the Commander. When I was stationed at Ft. Stewart I had to go into the Old Man's office and tell him he was making a big mistake in leadership. He sat there silently and listened to what I had to say. Now as the Commander he doesn't have to listen to a Captain Chaplain. And who's to say I was right. I'm only an advisor. But he humbled himself. He said, ‘Chaplain, you are right. I'm going to change that.’ Humility is a rare trait among those who serve in the military, but when you see it, you really appreciate it. I really admired the Commander for that. Remember this, teachability and humility go hand in hand. Don't let your pride get in the way of your personal or spiritual growth.