Thursday, February 08, 2007

THE LAW OF GIVING

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. (Proverbs 3:9-10)

One of the things chaplains get stingy about is their vehicle. First, they have to be lucky enough to have one and then they have to be like a pit bull to keep it from being taken away. Another thing chaplain's vehicles are know for is being poorly maintained. I took a lot of pride in the fact that not only did I have a vehicle but kept it in great shape. One day the SGM asked me if he could have one of my windshield wipers. WHAT? Everything in me wanted to say NO but I remembered the law of giving. When you give, you receive. So with great reluctance I gave him one of my two windshield wiper blades. From that moment on the SGM flooded me with things I needed. He gave me a radio for my vehicle, a man to help me when my chaplain assistant got sick, different supplies, and the list goes on and on. All for one windshield wiper blade. When you give, it comes back. That's the law of giving.

Application: How are you giving to the Lord (your finances, your time, your abilities)?