Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Flock

Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear Jesus. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." (Luke 15:1-2)

I was setting up my pup tent in the “Dust Bowl” at the National Training Center when one of my young pious soldiers came to me with a look of distress. “Chaplain, how can you stand this place? I mean with all the dirt, and foul language and these…these guys…” So, I stopped and looked and listened to my soldiers around me. Hard working troops with uniforms stained with the odd mixture of camouflage, salt, sweat, and dust. The sight was mingled with the pinging of tent pegs and the sounds of joking, swearing, and complaining. I replied, “Looks and sounds like my mission field. And do you know what? Sooner or later the Love of God is going to break through and I want to be here when it does.”