Wednesday, May 23, 2007

When We Go Off

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (Proverbs 29:11)

I was standing on the hood of a M-151 Jeep exploding on my warriors who stood there looking sheepish. A section of my reconnaissance platoon had just crossed a wide-open danger area with no security measures. I was spitting flames when it dawned on me, ‘These guys know I'm a Christian and here I am cussing and swearing and peeling the paint off my jeep.’ Some may be quick to let me off the hook with, ‘You were a Platoon Sergeant, that's the way you're supposed to act’ or ‘That's the only language troops understand.’ But the scriptures say that a man who can’t control his anger is a fool. Control is demonstrated when we consciously choose our words and how they are delivered. So now, when I feel like blowing up, I don’t act like a dud. C4 - Check Fire, Calm Down, Control Words, Communicate Effectively.