Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dead Sacrifices

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. (Hosea 6:6)

‘But I’m making sacrifices for my country. At least I signed up. I’m doing my part…’ This was the ‘patriot’ card being played by one of my privates as I was counseling him on his poor performance. I had to remind him that the true sacrifice was in performing his duties not in sponging off American’s tax dollars and wearing BDUs. Sometimes we play the ‘patriot’ card with Jesus. ‘But I go to church, give when the offering plate comes by, I pray before meals.’ Jesus is looking for our true allegiance in two areas; Do we really love Him and do we love people. The answer is not in our lifeless traditions; it’s in our sincere day to day relationship with Him and others.