Thursday, August 16, 2007

Times of Trouble

He replied, ‘You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?’ (Job 2:10)

I was praying for a young Canadian Infantryman in Afghanistan. I came into contact with him through a prayer request from his wife. I learned that his life was spared when a bomb dropped by one of our aircraft hit their position and four of his comrades were killed in this friendly fire accident. My first thought was one of great relief that my new friend was safe. And then I wondered why God didn’t spare the lives of the others. I was like Job’s wife asking why bad things like this happen. Job is wise enough to acknowledge that we wont always have all the answers. But one thing is for sure; we will have to trust God in the good and tough times. Let trouble push you toward God, not away.