Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hunting for Heritage Promises

The Wise Master Builder (Part 5)

For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; (2 Corinthians 1:20)

As a young Christian, I was gripped by the idea God could give me a spiritual lineage that would stretch into the generations. I remember walking around the block at night, bundled up in a heavy coat, crying out to God to use my life. I read the Scriptures and found God’s promises to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, and Jesus. I started claiming them for myself. I found other promises that were obviously made to Israel and claimed those as well. Now I’ve been to seminary and know better than to take Scripture out of context. But I was foolish enough to think that God wanted to reach the world for Christ and to do that through individuals like me. I had a fire in my belly to see the nations reached for Jesus one person at a time. And now, looking back over 30 years of ministry, I see the Father was delighted to honor those naive prayers of a simple young man. But there is one promise that clearly guarantees a spiritual lineage to every follower of Jesus Christ. We’ll take a look at that promise next time.

Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved