Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Testimony 21: Lesson One - Faith

Chapter 21

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
(Hebrews 11:6)


Korea became God’s training ground for deepening my faith. He used this place to establish a foundation of trust that guided me through some pretty rough waters to come. Faith School was in session and one of my first textbooks was a biography about Hudson Taylor, a missionary to China. H.T. lived his life in strict dependence on God and the Lord used him mightily. I was impressed and I wanted to live my life like H.T. He placed himself in circumstances that put him on the edge for the benefit of the Kingdom of God. He hung everything on the prospect that God would always come through. I wanted to follow his example, but how? I was a soldier, not a missionary.

It all started when I was witnessing to a young soldier in the snack bar. I invited him to go with me to help some missionaries in Seoul. I told him I had no earthly idea how to get to these people’s apartment but I had been there once. I didn’t know what bus to take. He looked a bit puzzled until I told him my plan. It was simple: Go to the bus stop, jump on the first bus, and trust God to get us to our destination. Now getting on a bus in a small town and going along for a ride is no problem. But, this city was gigantic and they probably had a 1000+ buses floating all over this sprawling metropolis. His facial expressions said it all, “I’m hanging out with a crazy guy.” We crammed into the first bus and headed into a city of 4 million people. After a 20-minute ride, I saw a familiar building and we jumped off at exactly the right place. I was a little amazed but my buddy was even more impressed with this minor miracle. A greater miracle happened later that afternoon when my traveling companion received Christ as his personal Savior. Lesson number one in developing deeper faith.





Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved