Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Testimony 4: Afraid of being Left Behind


Chapter 4

"For those days will be a time of tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will. "Unless the Lord had shortened those days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom He chose, He shortened the days.
(Mark 13:19-20)


My first duty assignment was at Ft. Bragg, NC. My fear that something bad could happen during a jump subsided and so did my chapel attendance. But during one of my sporadic spells of superstition, I met an ex-Special Forces guy named Tom. He was a very committed Christian and he played soccer with a bunch of guys on Sunday afternoons. So we started hanging out together. He invited me to a Bible study, which I attended a couple of times. I listened to what they had to say about Jesus dying on the cross and how faith in Him would give me forgiveness for my sins. I had heard all that before but these guys were living their daily lives like it was really true. I thought they were religious fanatics and distanced myself. One day out of the blue, Tom invited me to a movie (based on a bestselling book) called "The Late Great Planet Earth." It was about the end of the world and the return of Jesus Christ. I was so interested (and scared) I bought the book as well. At the end of the book, there was an invitation to receive Christ as a personal Lord and Savior. I thought that if I would pray this little prayer, I would have eternal life. I wouldn't have to worry about the end of the world or Hell or any other bad thing. So I prayed the prayer as though I were buying fire insurance. I really wasn't sorry for my sins nor did I have any intentions of changing my life.

Chapter 1: The Beginning
Chapter 2: Jesus is Watching You
Chapter 3: Paratrooper Religion
Chapter 4: Afraid of being Left Behind
Chapter 5: The Geographical Solution

For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com or click the envelope below to send this post to a friend...