Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Testimony 5: The Geographical Solution

Chapter 5

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; Your right hand will hold me fast. (PSALM 139:7-10)


But things did change. They changed for the worse. I was feeling pretty good about myself as a soldier but my activities with my friends were beginning to impact my life in a negative way. We were doing things that the Army frowned on. (Not a lot of detail because I don't want to give my sons any bright ideas.) You know the kind of stuff privates do and normally get themselves booted out of the Army. Well, I was having fun but I knew I was eventually going to wind up in big trouble. So I had a better idea. I thought "If I get away from these characters, it will solve my problems." Ah, yes. The geographical solution. Don't change your behavior, run away. Change your location. So I pushed to be assigned to a Special Operations Unit (like I had asked my recruiter in the first place!) and I figured that the hard core, Hooah ranger guys would never think about doing the things my buds and I were doing. After much paperwork, a Ranger recruiting team, and the promise of the XVIII Airborne Corps Commander ( I was too young to realize that when a General says to a young Recondo school graduate, "If there's anything I can do for you, boy, let me know," he was just making conversation.) I found myself at the 2nd Ranger Battalion at Ft. Lewis, WA.

Chapter 1: The Beginning
Chapter 2: Jesus is Watching You
Chapter 3: Paratrooper Religion
Chapter 4: Afraid of being Left Behind
Chapter 5: The Geographical Solution
Chapter 6: The Geographical Solution Fails



For questions or comments drop me a line at charleswood1@gmail.com or click the envelope below to send this post to a friend...