Monday, January 10, 2011

WHO LOVES YOU THIS MUCH?

Read Matthew 18.15-20

“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.” (Matthew 18:15)

WHO LOVES YOU THIS MUCH?

It stung to hear the words coming from my friend. He told me that I was being petty and had lost focus on what was really important. My normal reaction is to be defensive and hurt by the frankness and the truth of what he was saying. But he had evaluated the situation accurately and now I was exposed in the nakedness of my sin. My first inclination was to do exactly what has been done since the first sin in the garden: hide. Then, to give justifications and excuses so that I could maintain the veneer of my reputation. But instead, I listened and took it to heart. He was right. But much more than that, he loved me enough to risk our relationship and draw me out from my hiding place. True friends enter these very dangerous places. They go to the depths of the crevices to rescue us from our disastrous falls.

Do you have a friend like this? Have you made it easy for someone to be this kind of friend?

You can receive "Following Jesus" via email by subscribing below.
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz