Monday, January 07, 2008

No Trophy

Malachi 2:16 ‘I hate divorce,’ says the LORD God of Israel…’

 

I overheard two soldiers boasting about their divorces as though they were trophies of honor.  They bragged about how much they had given up for their careers and how their wives just couldn’t hang.  I’m almost certain that underneath all that bravado was a lot of pain.  We do have demanding jobs in the military but that is no excuse for neglecting our wife and kids when we are home.  Take care of your family.  Perform your family maintenance plan with as much discipline as your profession.  I’ve never heard an old retired soldier say, “I wish I would have spent more time at work.” But I have heard them say they wished they’d taken better care of their families.  It is no trophy to sacrifice our families on the altar of career. SP164