Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Own up to It

Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people, that they would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the LORD. 2 Kings 22:19

I’ve seen a lot of young soldiers in my office who are in trouble. They’ve done something wrong and they are worried about their punishment. They try to explain all the extenuating circumstances and why they shouldn’t get the max punishment. I listen patiently and then help them take responsibility for their actions. Leaders really don’t like to hear excuses and justification. But they are moved by a soldier who simply says, “I blew it and I deserve whatever you give me, I will not let that happen again.” That is called repentance and in the same way, God forgives us when we “own up to it.”