Wednesday, July 09, 2008

And What About the Soldier?

"You shall not murder. Exodus 20:13

One of the most common questions I hear from soldiers is, “How can I be a soldier and still keep the fourth commandment?” The answer is in the forth commandment itself. You shall not murder, not you shall not kill. If killing was the real problem, then as soon as you plucked that carrot out of the ground to feed yourself… boom… you just broke a command. No, it’s murder breaks the commandment and not the use of military force to preserve freedom and protect the innocent. Now wait a sec; before we think we’re totally off the hook, consider Jesus’ words: Matthew 5:21-22 "You have heard that it was said…Do not murder…But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell…” It’s not my military service that puts me in the greatest danger of breaking this commandment; it’s my pride and anger making me the violator.