Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Rest for the Best

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.” Exodus 20:8

In Kuwait, I made the big mistake of telling the XO I’d take a day off when he took a day off; four months later, not a single day off. By the end of the tour, we were both crispy critters. Then, just as we were ready to fly home, Operation Desert Fox kicked off and we headed back to the desert. As I looked him in the eyes, I could see a deep weariness. Then it dawned on me: I was looking in a mirror. All because we had not taken time to rest. There was no way to be at our best for this very unexpected crisis. We have a very demanding job and there are times we can’t afford to take a break in the midst of our demanding duties. But God has commanded rest for a reason. Leaders, there comes a time when you may have to order your “High Speeds” to stand down. And you owe it to your soldiers to be at your best and get rest yourself. A rest plan is just as important as a security plan. Get some rest. That’s an order from God. SP304