Monday, July 14, 2008

I Want What You Got

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." Exodus 20:17

I looked at my MRE: tuna and noodles again! Then I looked at my assistant’s chicken chow mein, “boy, I sure would like to have his meal…” BOOM, just broke the 10th commandment of not coveting. “Would you just look at that vehicle, I’d rather have that one… POW, broke it again. “Wish I had a Special Forces Tab…” SLAM DUNK. Ladies and gentlemen, he’s down for the count! He’s broken the 10th commandment three times in one hour! Sound absurd? Not really; it happens every day. This is the commandment that the great Apostle Paul said “got him” every time. It’s the easiest of all to break and we do it all the time. Any time I look to my neighbor’s stuff with the idea that I would be more satisfied with his than mine, I have coveted.