Monday, July 07, 2008

Honor Your Mom and Pop

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12


“I want out of the Army!” “Why?” “Because the only reason I joined was to show my parents I can control my own life.” “And who’s in control of your life now?” “Well… uh… the Army.” “Boy, you showed them.” That’s a conversation I’ve had with many soldiers. The problem isn’t necessarily parents; it’s our rebellious nature. The first place that rebellion becomes evident is in our relationship with parents. But that’s just the beginning and ultimately it’s only a small glimpse of our rebellion against God. Honor, respect, and obedience should begin in the home. If it’s cultivated and nurtured properly, there’s a good chance it will reflect in our relationship with God. Some may be thinking it’s too late. If you have breath, it’s never too late. Go back, make things right, and receive the special blessing that comes with honoring your mother and father. Just a thought: the older I get, the smarter my folks get.