Monday, July 21, 2008

Hanging Out at the Wedding

Read Jn 2.1-11

Jesus was not burdened by the social side of life. He was always around people. He was a man who was approachable and didn’t count the crowds as a bother. They were the people He came to rescue. They were the objects of His compassion. He saw their spiritual potential and was quick to forgive their shortcomings. He was also so engaged in their lives He was not willing to silently let them slip into Hell. He was passionate about correcting and straightening their relationship with God. I must say, for me, this is one of the most challenging aspects of being Jesus’ disciple. Crowded rooms make me nervous. I’d rather hang out with those who completely agree with me and my theological views. And I certainly do not enjoy chit chat or immature spiritual discussions. To be honest, I’m more like a Pharisee than Jesus. I’d rather set the rules for my club and unless you have the appropriate password, you’re not going to disturb my tidy little space. But as His disciple, we must be committed to stretching ourselves to becoming more “others focused” like Jesus was. I am working on the social skill set that communicates love for all kinds of people in all kinds of settings. I’m working on making relationships more about giving than receiving. Follow me as I follow Christ (1 Cor 11.1) FJ22