Saturday, July 12, 2008

There’s Nothing Petty About Petty Theft

"You shall not steal.” Exodus 20:15

We had a great time on our staff-ride studying the WWII battlefields of Tunisia and now it was time to head back home. As we checked out of the five-star (really two-star) hotel, I saw that the lovely Tunisian desk clerk was writing with a US Government ballpoint pen. I asked her casually if I could have “my” pen back. She was visibly shocked and replied, “I’m sorry, sir, but this is my pen.” To which I replied, “No, Ma’am; it says right on it “US Government,” I’m with the US Government, so it’s my pen.” I broke the tension by laughing and assuring her that I was just kidding with her. But then I started to think about all the US Government pens in my house. Could it be that I was more guilty of thievery than she? But it’s just a pen! Not the excuse I would accept from my son if he took one from the store.