Thursday, October 21, 2010

Leading from the Bottom

Matthew 3.13-17

Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented. (Matthew 3.15)

Leading from the Bottom

Deb and I spend half the year at West Point and half at Fort Benning, two local ministries that I oversee as the Director of Army Ministries. But when we participate in those local ministries, I’m not the boss. I submit myself to the couples that have been entrusted with those posts and serve under their supervision. This is proper. Can you imagine what kind of ruckus I would create by usurping their influence? Jesus submitted to the baptism of John because it was the right thing to do. Jesus was humble, had a strong sense of identity, and clearly understood His role. These attributes freed Him up to be led by His follower when it was proper.

Do you clearly understand your role? How would it be proper to submit to a subordinate?


You can receive "Following Jesus" via email by subscribing below.
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz