Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Assignment I Never Wanted

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it." Genesis 28:16

“Do you like hunting and fishing?” Oh no, I knew what was next, the Mountain Ranger Camp. I just told the CSM that I wanted to go to the Florida Camp or stay at Ft. Benning. I had scoped this out and had no desire to be stuck in the back woods of Dahlonega or out in the desert at Ft. Bliss. “Well Wood, I need you in the mountains because they run the desert phase too and they need folks bad.” I agonized in my mind, “What? The two places I didn’t want and I get them both!” I spent the next five years there and it was one of the most rewarding times of my life. My sons were born there and my wife graduated from NGC. I was leading three separate Bible studies and it was an incredible time of ministry. We made lifelong friends in that place. I received my calling to be a chaplain in those mountains. I saw God work like never before. Sometimes we experience God’s powerful hand in the most unexpected places. SP234

CSM - Command Sergeant Major
NGC - North Georgia College