Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Temporary Blindness

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see." Mark 10:51

It was my second jump in Airborne School and I couldn’t see a thing. Shortly after I exited the aircraft I was enveloped in green nylon. I had collided with a fellow jumper’s canopy. I frantically looked about me only to be totally blindfolded by parachute. Suddenly I popped out and I could see again. I quickly slipped away and breathed a huge sigh of relief. Most of us have the blessing of sight but there are occasions when we are struck with a temporary spiritual blindness. We fail to see God’s hand in the tough times or we are tempted and walk in darkness. We lose our way as we begin to doubt, groping in discouragement. The remedy for this temporary blindness is to turn to Christ to open our spiritual eyes. As the song says “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.” (Helen H. Lemmel)