Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Looking Back

Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62

The wooden board was pre-cut so that it would break easily over my back. It was a stunt we had pulled many times in our hand-to-hand combat demonstrations. As long as the aggressor struck me across the meaty upper-back, the most I would feel was a little sting. During this particular demo, my pugilistic partner was late with the anticipated blow. I looked over my shoulder and WHACK, the board broke as planned but the jagged edge put a nice gash in my chin. As the blood flowed, I realized it was a big mistake to look back. Can we make the same mistake spiritually? In our walk with Christ we can be tempted to look back. We may desire the lifestyle of the past or be unable to let go of previous sins committed. We could be resting on old laurels or just unwilling to face the future. In any case, looking back keeps us from moving forward and can be a potential danger to our spiritual journey. Eyes Front! SP238