Thursday, February 19, 2009

Testimony 17: Life Time Mentor

Chapter 17

“You have a pride problem” announced our new acquaintance. I had only met our dinner guest a few days before this sobering rebuke. This was the beginning of another significant relationship that would have a deep impact in my life. Cecil Bean was the Navigator Representative for Ft. Campbell.

The Navigators are a Christian Organization dedicated to helping men and women know Christ and make Him known through one on one relationships. They train new believers in the basics of the Christian life and then help them pass them on to others.

Cec (as hundreds of men and women lovingly refer to him) was listening to me snivel about an Army Commendation Medal I had received that day. Turns out that the medal was borrowed from someone else and his name had actually been scratched out on the back. I was mad and mentioned how unprofessional the presentation was handled. Cec asked me what the medal was. I replied “an ARCOM.” He responded with his clarification, “No, what is it made of?” Looking at the medal I identified cloth and brass. He said, “you’re right and one day it will burn. You have a pride problem.”

I would spend years appreciating Cecil’s frank and unswerving commitment to biblical principles. Soon after our meeting my brother Mike and I moved into the basement of his home. For the next two and half years my brother and I lived in Cecil’s home learning about the faith, family, life, and ministry. He would become my life-long mentor.

Testimony 1: In the Beginning
Testimony 2: Jesus is Watching You
Testimony 3: Paratrooper Religion
Testimony 4: Afraid of being Left Behind
Testimony 5: The Geographical Solution
Testimony 6: The Geographical Solution Fails
Testimony 7: The Seed is Planted
Testimony 8: Spiritual Melee
Testimony 9: Seeing the Light
Testimony 10: Receiving God's Plan for My Life
Testimony 11: A New Creature
Testimony 12: What about You?
Testimony 13: A Little Miracle
Testimony 14: An Apostle to the Soldier
Testimony 15: First Steps toward Growth
Testimony 16: Being Discipled
Testimony 17: Life Time Mentor
Testimony 18: Key Lessons from Cecil


Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.
© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved