Monday, March 23, 2009

Big Promises from a Big God


Value #5 - Expectant faith and persevering prayer rooted in the promises of God.


For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. (2 Corinthians 1:20)


When I was a young disciple of Jesus, I instinctively knew to trust Him with all my needs and dreams. Having come out of a disastrous lifestyle of trying to pull myself up by my own boot straps, I was completely convinced that I needed to depend on someone with real power to do something about my miserable condition. My faith in Christ was born out of the realization that I was not a very good “Captain of my Soul.”


This simple childlike faith grew as the Holy Spirit connected me with battle buddies of like heart. These men were different. They were not just trying to be good people or asking God to meet their daily needs. They truly believed that God would use them to change the world for Jesus Christ. They would spend time together praying over a world map, asking God to reach the nations through their lives. This kind of faith and prayer is not only powerfully in tune with the promises of God, it is extremely infectious.


It wasn’t long before I was praying and looking for promises and asking God to use my life for the sake of His Kingdom. I came across passages like Isaiah 58.9-12 and Psalms 107.35-38. And, although I didn't understand the context and correct interpretation of these passages, I was foolish enough to pray through them and believed God could use my life to that end. I would soon find plenty of promises that did apply to me and all of His disciples (Mt 4.19, 28.18-20, Acts 1.8). The result? I have been used by God to share Christ with people around the world. Naive? Not really. Courageously obedient to Jesus, absolutely!


What are the promises you have claimed? God has given us so many; from taking care of our daily needs to evangelizing the world to eternal life. Are you searching the Scriptures to find these great gems? Are you praying through them in faith? The Father certainly rewards such obedience and trust.


What are your favorite Promises of God? Write them in the comment section below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights ReservedPlease leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved