Sunday, March 08, 2009

Testimony 19: Out of the Nest

Chapter 19

"As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
(John 17:18)

In 1983 it was time to leave the safety of my spiritual nest at Ft. Campbell and the Lord sent me to Korea. Now there are a lot of reasons why soldiers don’t want to go to Korea but I only had one: sin. I had heard all the stories of returning GIs and I was terrified that I would undo all the work the Lord had done in the last three years. So, I made a covenant with God. I promised Him that I’d never be in the village after sunset (I imagined times of darkness would be the most perilous to my walk with Christ). This was tested the first night I was in country. My fellow Pathfinders heard I’d just arrived and were ready to take me out on the town. I had gone to bed early and when I woke to the pounding and yelling outside my room, it was pitch-dark. It was so dark and I had such bad jet lag I couldn’t find the door. Feeling my way around the walls, I apologized and told them I would just meet them in the morning. There was only one other time where I had the potential of breaking my covenant. I was out shopping and lost track of time. As I walked out of the store, I realized the sun was going down. I went into a full sprint, zigging and zagging through the crowd and spurted through the gate like a watermelon seed pinched between fingers. Whew, I made it! I kept my covenant with God and my time in Korea was one of the most fruitful times of my life.

Testimony 1: In the Beginning
Testimony 2: Jesus is Watching You
Testimony 3: Paratrooper Religion
Testimony 4: Afraid of being Left Behind
Testimony 5: The Geographical Solution
Testimony 6: The Geographical Solution Fails
Testimony 7: The Seed is Planted
Testimony 8: Spiritual Melee
Testimony 9: Seeing the Light
Testimony 10: Receiving God's Plan for My Life
Testimony 11: A New Creature
Testimony 12: What about You?
Testimony 13: A Little Miracle
Testimony 14: An Apostle to the Soldier
Testimony 15: First Steps toward Growth
Testimony 16: Being Discipled
Testimony 17: Life Time Mentor
Testimony 18: Key Lessons from Cecil
Testimony 19: Out of the Nest
Testimony 20: Prayers for Korea


Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved