Monday, March 02, 2009

Testimony 18: Key Lessons from Cecil

Chapter 18

For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
(1 Corinthians 2:2)


Although I learned many things from Cecil, I count two as most important. The first is a vision for personal ministry that is effective and enduring. His emphasis was to so deeply impact one person for Christ that it would reach the fourth generation. This vision is implemented one on one through a Christ-like love for others who are willing to love in the same manner. It is also accompanied by repetitive teaching of the basics of the Christian life, majoring on the Great Commission of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). There are many noble tasks in ministry. But, is the love of Christ being reproduced by passing it on to enduring generations? Cecil gave me the gift of this eternal purpose.

Secondly, 25 years after I met Cec, he would teach the most important lesson with just one simple question. As I was pontificating about some theological hobbyhorse, Cecil piped in asking, “Chuck, what does this have to do with Jesus?” At first I was ticked. I thought to myself, “Connect the dots man!” But as I continued to meditate on Cecil’s question, I asked myself, “Yah, what does this have to do with Jesus?” In fact, Jesus was conspicuously absent from most of my rhetoric from meeting with men to my preaching. Since that day I have dedicated my life to focus squarely on the person of Christ and to generously salt my speech with the name of my Savior, Jesus.

The Lord truly blessed me with Cecil, a mentor who had eternal perspective coupled with practical principles for day to day living for Christ. Do you have such a person in your life? And more importantly, are you being this kind of tutor in another person’s life? You can shape eternity!

What are the Key Lessons your mentors have taught you? Give your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

Testimony 1: In the Beginning
Testimony 2: Jesus is Watching You
Testimony 3: Paratrooper Religion
Testimony 4: Afraid of being Left Behind
Testimony 5: The Geographical Solution
Testimony 6: The Geographical Solution Fails
Testimony 7: The Seed is Planted
Testimony 8: Spiritual Melee
Testimony 9: Seeing the Light
Testimony 10: Receiving God's Plan for My Life
Testimony 11: A New Creature
Testimony 12: What about You?
Testimony 13: A Little Miracle
Testimony 14: An Apostle to the Soldier
Testimony 15: First Steps toward Growth
Testimony 16: Being Discipled
Testimony 17: Life Time Mentor
Testimony 18: Key Lessons from Cecil
Testimony 19: Out of the Nest

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved