Friday, March 06, 2009

The Shocking Reality - Cold Contacts


And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."
(Matthew 4:19)


Living and Discipling Among the Lost – Obedience to the Great Commission


Now, after making much to do about the insider, I must admit that most people we see coming to Christ in our ministries are not from long term insider relationships. They are people we have just met 'off the street' and invited to Bible study. They are first time visitors in chapel we invite to lunch. That is the reality of our evangelistic efforts. Keep in mind too, that we are not talking about one or two converts a year. We’re talking dozens in a year.


This statement of reality is not to pit one technique of evangelism against another. But, if you are is serious about leading men and women to Christ, this ought to jolt you into paying careful attention. Remember the goal of evangelism is not to hang out with lost people. It is to find those who will embrace Jesus as Lord and Savior (Mt 11.27, Jn 6.44). So, since I’m interested people coming to Christ and eventually laboring in the Kingdom, I zealously practice both.


There are several ways to approach a cold contact and I’ve found some more effective than others. I can walk up to someone and convince them that they are a sinner (I really think they already know that) or I could convince them that “God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life.” I could ask, “Why should God let you into heaven?” or I can simply test the waters by inviting them to chapel. The bottom line question is: “Am I extending myself to lost people?” Some Christians are bold and can walk up and start an argument and out maneuver the 'would be convert' mentally. Others are timid and do well to hand out a business card with the church service time on it. Whether you use a line or a net, Just Do It!


Keep in mind the spiritual principle of sowing. You can expect the yield to be in proportion to your efforts (2 Cor 9.6-7, Gal 6.7-8).


What are your thoughts? Leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved