Sunday, March 29, 2009

Facebook Evangelism?


He spoke another parable to them, "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three pecks of flour until it was all leavened."
(Matthew 13:33)

Value #8 - Families and relational networks in discipling the nations.


I have a confession to make. I don’t read all of my “friends” status changes in Facebook. In fact with so many “friends,” I don’t read half of what is posted on my Facebook. It ain’t pretty but it’s the truth. (I anticipate a massive de-friending after this blog post :)


I remember sitting and looking at some ruins in Turkey. I actually began to weep at the demise of the Church in that country. As I prayed in agony, John 3.16 popped in my head, “For God so loved the world…” For God so loved the world! Not Chuck Wood. I do not have the resources to love the world.


I use these two examples to point out our limitations and our strengths. Realistically, I can only have so many meaningful relationships. My capacity is governed by time, space, and energy. As I invest these resources, I discover my expression of love is more meaningful to its recipient when it is focused. So, it would only stand to reason that our strengths lie in our natural relational networks.


What am I trying to say? I’m saying that our best bet for reaching the world for Jesus is by investing deeply in our natural relationships. In turn a multiplication effect will begin like yeast leavening the whole lump of dough (Mt 13.33). I’m not saying a person shouldn’t be a missionary, or that it’s wrong to move away from your family. This would be a choice to engage in a new relational network for the sake of the Kingdom. But the fact remains, the gospel is best communicated in meaningful relationships and I can only have so many. So here’s the question; who’s in your circle?


Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved