Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Burden of Leadership

Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:28)

I have known no greater burden than to have the responsibility for the welfare of a group of men. Suddenly I had become the designated steward of all that happens in them, to them, and for them. This is an especially heavy burden when I consistently placing their lives in harm’s way to accomplish the mission.

Leading a ministry is no less burdensome. In fact the stakes are much higher. The care for these sheep of God runs deeper. The consequences for failure are far greater. But the rewards for shepherding the flock of Jesus are immeasurable. Ministry is not a hobby. As my good Bible College prof use to say, “A brain surgeon messes with men’s brains. But you men are messing with men’s souls. Be careful how you mess.” (1 Pet 5.1-4)

Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved