Friday, April 24, 2009

The Spirit of Discipleship

For I will pour out water on the thirsty land And streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring And My blessing on your descendants (Isaiah 44:3)

I have been discipling men for 30 years. They are literally all over the planet. But it doesn’t matter how many, what I taught, how hard I worked, unless God pours out His Spirit and blesses them, they are dead in the water. It’s amazing how much credit we take in the helping men become like Christ. If the truth be told, we are the ones being discipled. Oh, the mistakes I’ve made. Some of the boneheaded things I’ve said and done in the name of God would make you cringe. And yet, by His grace and His Spirit, these men and women become stalwart apprentices of Jesus. They are willing to forsake family, jobs, property, and even their very lives for Him. I’m a good discipler but not that good.

Even Jesus recognized the Father was the Provider of spiritual transformation through the Holy Spirit. This should underscore our need as disciplers to pray. If we are not praying for the people we disciple on a daily basis, we are in danger of the sin of presumption.




Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved