Saturday, April 04, 2009

Extravagant Assumptions

"Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her." (Matthew 26:13)

I was reminded the other day by a good friend of a prayer that I pray occasionally. My prayer is simple and yet extravagant. I pray that God would use me to reach a million men for Christ. And I assume that God will answer my prayer. Is this absurd or arrogant?

The disciples thought the woman’s anointing of Jesus with the expensive perfume was an excessive waist. (Mt 26.6-13) But there is something in this story even more noteworthy. Jesus states that His gospel will be preached throughout the world! Is this an extravagant assumption? No, God does not assume anything. He knows all things. Nor were the woman’s actions improper because she knew Him as Lord. And praying for a million men is not extravagant either because He desires all men to be saved. Pray big to a big God.


Please leave me your feedback by clicking on "comments" below.

© 2008, 2009 Following Jesus by Chuck Wood All Rights Reserved