Sunday, June 17, 2007

Going to See the General

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

I checked in with the secretary and then entered the General’s office. It was the first time I wasn't nervous around a general officer. Oh, don't get me wrong. I demonstrated the respect due any senior leader but my knees weren’t knocking. I wasn't feeling the anxiety I normally experienced. The reason for the calm is clear. He had been my battalion commander and we had developed a close professional relationship. Relationship makes all the difference. That's what we have with God the Father through His Son, Jesus Christ, a relationship. And now, rendering all proper respect due to the Creator, we can enter into God's presence with confidence and calm.