Monday, June 18, 2007

JOY IN SUFFERING?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

I'm not sure I counted Ranger School as pure joy. But one thing for sure, it did develop perseverance. It was also a time of growing faith. I read parts of the New Testament up in the mountains and down in Florida. I considered for the first time that maybe I ought to seriously seek out a relationship with God. And I was stiffly confronted on my own sin. All this was brought on by a prolonged period of suffering. As I look at the results, not only physically but spiritually, I can count it all joy. But Ranger School isn't the toughest thing life has to hand out. We can suffer in many ways but we have more hope when we understand its process and product. Hang in there.