Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Believe in Life After Death

Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’ (John 11:25-26)

In a moon lit night the swift current of the Nasqually River took control of the 15-man rubber raft. My PSG knew we were out of control and made one last command, ‘Don’t let this thing turn sideways.’ No sooner had he barked out the order, when we hit a massive tree stump in the middle of the river. The raft turned sideways and dumped its contents of rangers into the glacier fed waters. As the other rangers swan free, I was trapped under water, snared in the raft’s rigging. As I tried to untangle myself, I thought, ‘This is it, this is the end.’ Suddenly, the upside-down raft jolted and I was unshackled. I popped out of the water gasping for air. “I’m alive!” I believe this a good picture of what it will be like for us when we experience physical death. We will pop out of the turbulent waters of this life into the next. What an exciting promise to look forward to.