Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Timid Ranger

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)

Most people don’t know this but I have an incredible fear of drowning. Because I was close to becoming fish food on three separate military training events, I get a little nervous or timid around water. I recognized this weakness and I enrolled in a scuba diving class. I wanted to confront my fear head on. Several friends in my Sunday School class also signed up. As we got in the water and began to be acquainted with the breathing apparatus, all but one friend dropped from the class. As I watched the others get out of the water, fear was raging inside of me. I aggressively reminded myself I could not quit and had to overcome this phobia. Soon I was 15-20 feet below, exploring the waters. This is the way we should tackle our fears in our spiritual lives as well. We cannot allow timidity to sideline us in our walk with Christ. Take the plunge and go for it!