Thursday, July 12, 2007

Character First

Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach...(1 Timothy 3:1-2)

His wife was killed in a head-on collision by a drunk driver who happened to be a private in the same unit. The commander called me at 0300 for my help to inform my boss and my friend that his wife was dead. Of course he took it pretty hard and we drove him to the hospital to identify her body. Only one problem, the private was in the same emergency room. The commander and I were caught off guard and fearful of what might happen next. The Sergeant simply walked up to the private, asked how he was doing, and then said ‘you heal up, and we'll worry about this later.’ That was the strongest demonstration of character I have ever witnessed. But really I should have expected nothing less from my friend because he had proven himself time and time again to be a great leader. Great leadership is built on the foundation of great character.