Friday, July 27, 2007

Impossible

Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.’ (Mark 10:27)

The phone call came out of the blue. On the other end was one of the people I affectionately call a ‘little old lady in white tennis shoes.’ It was her unfortunate duty to inform me that the US Army could not accession me as a chaplain because of my P3 hearing profile. I had lost some hearing as an enlisted guy and now this defect would keep me from my dream. I asked if there was any exception and she replied, 'It’s impossible to come on active duty with a P3 profile.’ One year later, my National Guard unit wanted to promote me but couldn’t because of my profile. Unbeknownst to me, they sent my medical records before a review board and had my P3 downgraded to a P2. I was promoted but more importantly, I could now officially apply for active duty chaplaincy. Nothing is impossible for God!