Sunday, July 08, 2007

Restoration

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:1-2)

As a chaplain, I heard the confessions of a lot of sins. From drugs to theft to sexual immorality. By now, you would think that I've heard it all. However, at times, I'm still taken back by the destruction in some peoples lives. Sin has ripped through them like a nuclear blast leaving a wide radius of devastation. As I listen and I quickly remind myself of a quote I heard many years ago. ‘The seed of all sin is within us. All it needs is a little water and fertilizer and it will bear its ugly fruit.’ After reminding myself of that truth, I tend to be more compassionate rather than judgmental. When I see that I could also be tempted by the same sin and I am eager to restore rather than just reprimand. Restore one another.