Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The Spiritual Show-Off

Matthew 6.1-23

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 6.1)

The Spiritual Show-Off

A couple of days ago, the Commanding General walked into the coffee shop. The two stars immediately caught my eye. He was cordial and asked the young Lieutenant and me, “What are you guys up to this morning?” Then it started: the ugliness of pride swelled in my heart, took over my mind, and engaged my mouth. “Oh, we’re just doing a little mentoring here,” I replied. In a split second, my focus had shifted from imparting Jesus to this young guy, to wanting to be in the spotlight of a man that I didn’t know from Adam. And the worst thing was that I used my young friend whom I was discipling as a footstool to do it. Forgive me, Lord Jesus, for esteeming a general’s presence more than Yours.

Are there any areas in your life that are more exciting to show off to men rather than God?

You can receive "Following Jesus" via email by subscribing below.
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz