Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Next Generation

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come. Psalms 71:18

The Colonel and I were talking to some brand new Lieutenants and they were thanking us for the investments we had made in the Army. It was quite clear that we looked look ancient to these guys. I felt like a cowboy riding off into the sunset before the sun had really set. We were very honored that they would say such a thing, but I also realized my time is almost up. Even in the twilight of my career, I wanted to invest in young soldiers. Now comes the more important questions; Am I investing in the next generation of Christianity. Am I mentoring a younger man or woman in Christ. Am I taking the riches of God’s blessings and passing them on to another. I believe this is exactly what Jesus commands us to do in the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). What a treasure! One day when we are “old and gray” the next generation will thank us for helping them become like Jesus. SP230