Sunday, March 30, 2008

Things that Hinder

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

The Panamanian boy had himself a trade; one huge pineapple for one small C-ration can of meat. I certainly thought I got the better end of the deal. The platoon was resuming its slither through the thick jungle and I tied the giant prickly fruit to the top of my ruck. As I trudged through the suffocating vegetation with my heavy load, each step brought the bounce and thump of the pineapple. The first miles seemed tolerable but by the end of the day, my bargain had become a curse. The pineapple had turned out to be an annoying hindrance to the march. Now, what are the pineapples in our spiritual lives? Could it be spending too much time at a good job or maybe recreation has become a slave driver? Do we own our house or does our house own us? What are the “good” things that slow us down in our march for God? It would be wise to consider our load plan and drop some of that excess weight. Marching On! SP232

C-ration – Army field rations before MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) and after K-rations
Ruck – Military Backpack