Saturday, March 01, 2008

Thirty-six Cents

“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:38

As a young Staff Sergeant in Korea, the Lord was working hard at developing my faith. It sounds crazy, but He led me to give my entire paycheck to some local missionaries. I was left with thirty-six cents, just enough for a bus ride across town. I went to my neighbor in the barracks to swap my loose change for Korea money. He produced a large jar of coins and placed ten of them in my open palm. As I pleaded I only needed exact change, he placed another ten in my palm. Then another. The more I tried to clarify, the more the coins kept falling into my hand. Soon he had poured the entire contents into my hands and coins spilled over onto the floor. He had no clue that I needed the extra money, but God did. God provided in ways like that all month long. There are often deep lessons in faith we can learn by trusting God with our tithes and offerings.